Being Fearful of Saying the Wrong Thing by Eleanor Clarke (National Director South)

 

I was talking to a friend who was asking about what to say to a work colleague who had recently been bereaved. It reminded me of being a young widow and some people avoiding me because they simply didn’t know what to say, or were fearful of saying the wrong thing.

I suggested that my friend just ask how they are and be led by them. There is no magic phrase, just being interested is the key. And that of course is what schools offer children on a Rainbows programme, a place to be heard, witnessed by other young people and permission to say how they are feeling.

In times of fear and uncertainty, uncomfortable feelings arise and having those feelings normalised is a very powerful gift. As always, a big thank you to all of those schools who are doing just that.    



Comments

Popular Posts